This interactive map (click on a country for more information) provides information on Carnet requirements by country, whether it is required, recommended or not required for entry via overland borders or via the sea borders shipping in or out of the country. (For Temporary Import (TIP) See this map)

Please note that the entry requirements / policies can change without notice. The information above has been produced based on overland travellers actual experiences crossing borders with vehicles together with official information provided by Motoring Organisations and customs authorities.

When collating the information and considering the status of each country we only consider reliable first hand multiple user reports, covering multiple vehicle types. We do not take into consideration hearsay, or illegal forms of entry.  When we are comfortable the information is correct, reliable and consistent we then update the status.

Please ensure you also read the notes to each country as they may contain additional information or user reports which are relevant to you.


(Latest news see our Overlanding Africa FB Group)

We recommend a Carnet for travel in Africa in general, as it facilitates quicker and easier border crossings, and does not require the payment of a cash bond at borders. Large parts of Africa are stated as recommended, once reliable user reports of people entering these countries without a carnet on a TIP without issue we shall reassess their status.

South African Customs Union (South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia, Swaziland) travellers are reporting a carnet is not required if crossing via a land border, however if you plan to ship in or out of any of the countries in the Customs Union we would strongly recommend obtaining a carnet.

Egypt it had been possible to obtain a local Egyptian Carnet (Often  refereed to as a triptyque) with the payment of a cash bond, with reports dating back to 2010 of successful entry.

These reports normally related of people entering on motorcycles with a refundable deposit of $800, which rather than being TIPs were the local Carnets/ Triptyque,

Recently (October 2016) the FIA confirmed that Egypt had changed their rules and are not currently issuing local Carnets to foreign residents.

September 2016 – An individual reported that they are not issuing local Carnets or TIPs at the Sudan / Egypt border. However they were able to obtain a single page Carnet from Sudanese Automobile and Touring Club, for a cost of US$200. Reference

September 2016 a member shipped into Alexandria without a Carnet, locally they asked for a €800 Carnet fee and a €2500 Euro Deposit, however despite being provided with a quote for the carnet they were not able to obtain one locally. Reference

*Note Egypt does not allow the use of extended carnets to enter the country, on the few occasions these have been allowed, lengthy validation of the carnet was required.

*Note Some members have been ask to have their carnet issuer fax FAX both the Club Auto & Tourisme d’Egypte confirming authenticity and copy of the original document, if you are shipping in it would be beneficial to arrange this in advance so that you are not faced with delays on arrival.

No reliable, consistent reports have mentioned entering Egypt only on a TIP for both motor vehicles and motorcycles recently therefore the status is still required.

A Carnet is highly recommended

*Also note the current status is fluid and may change without notice

Ethiopia (Warning) September 2017 The situation is now back to normal, tourist vehicles can enter with or without a carnet – Aug 2017 customs have introduced new rules which require a cash deposit to be paid at the border. This can be as much 300% of the vehicle, with no confirmed way of repayment. Currently they are not accepting Carnets, however they may accept separate insurance bond. This is a developing situation please read the latest updates on our Overlanding Africa FB Group

Sudan – A carnet is recommended for travel to Sudan, there are mixed reports of people entering successfully without a carnet and with other being stuck at the border for several days whilst arranging for a Carnet to be issued from the Sudan Automobile Association.  It has been reported the costs of the Carnet was $200, the officers on the border have the Sudan Automobile Associations telephone number

Kenya – Update December 2017 – New rules will be introduced in 2018 whereby a) a Foreign Vehicle permit is required in advance, b) non Carnet entry will be limited to 14 days, which may be extended at a customs office view the Customs Notification here May 2017  More reports are coming in from Travellers in 2016 stating that they were able to enter Kenya on a TIP for a cost of $20. The TIP may be issued for the length of your visa. The last user reported being given 90 days same as their East African Visa. With still recommend a Carnet for Kenya, entry without a carnet for all vehicles is relatively new.

Senegal – Recommended – Entering Senegal can be problematic if you don’t read up on the process in advance. Read the notes on the map and ask in our forum for the latest information. If you are shipping you should use a carnet.

Shipping in or out of Africa – please ensure you check prior to shipping or entering the country you are shipping out of whether a carnet is is required or not.


(Latest news see our Overlanding Europe FB Group)

A carnet is not required for Europe, however if you are shipping in to Germany (not other countries) you may be asked for a Deposit of around 30% of the vehicle’s value see below for more information. For most EU countries you can usually use a vehicle with foreign number plates without registering or taxing it for up to 6 months, third party liability insurance is required, and some states may charge user fees or taxes. In the UK the following rules apply:

  • you’re visiting and don’t plan to live here
  • the vehicle is registered and taxed in its home country
  • you only use the vehicle for up to 6 months in total – this can be a single visit, or several shorter visits over 12 months

For the UK Automatic VAT & Duty relief is provided:

Provided the vehicle is for your own private use only during your visit and:

  • it is registered outside the EU or, if not registered, belongs to you or someone else who has their normal home outside the EU
  • you do not sell, lend or hire it out or otherwise dispose of it in the EU
  • you re-export the vehicle from the EU within 6 months (if you are a student or someone fulfilling an assignment of a specific duration for example a work contract, the vehicle can remain in the EU for the period of your studies or until the end of your assignment)

More info here Bringing Private Motor Vehicles to the UK from Outside the EU

Also note the following provided by the EU Customs Advice service when enquiring on behalf of a non EU member:

“These rules are set out in the Common Customs Code, which is set out in Regulation (EC) 2454/93, as amended.

In outline, these rules provide that a person in your situation, who is resident outside of the EU, whose vehicle which is registered in their home state, is temporarily importing a vehicle for private use within the EU is entitled to relief from customs duties for a period of six months (article 562).

However, on the basis of the information provided, that this will be purely for private purposes, being a tour of the EU, the period is six months.

You can find more information at the following website:

You would need to make a customs declaration on your first entry into the EU. If that will be the UK, you can find out more about the UK rules in obtaining temporary admission and the necessary paperwork at the following website:

You can find more information at the following contact point:

We hope that this assists, “


Recently there have been a couple of reports of people shipping into Germany being ask to pay a deposit, we contacted German customs had were provided the following responses:

By phone: A deposit  is only required if a written declaration is asked for by customs, by default only an oral declaration is required, however the customs agent may at their own discretion may ask for a written declaration and deposit. She suggested that you contact customs yourselves and orally declare the vehicle and ask whether the written declaration is required or not, She suggested agents are not always aware of the rules or just do this as a matter of course. The agent suggested different ports in Germany may apply different policies.

By Email: Vehicles registered in a non-EU country and driven by a person resident in a non-EU country may indeed be imported in temporary admission free of duty and tax. Nevertheless the temporary admission is liable to a deposit (equivalent to the potential duty and tax), when the customs office asks for a written declaration. A written declaration is required when a vehicle enters without being driven on its own wheels (in case of Bremerhaven they come by ship). The deposit is returned when re-export is made and proven.
As far as this answer contains legal statements this information can – for legal reasons – only be given to the best of our knowledge and is non-binding.

We would therefore not recommended shipping to German ports without advance confirmation by customs that only an oral declaration is required,

Americas (North, South & Central)

(Latest news see our Overland FB Group)

For a number of years, a carnet has not been required when crossing land borders in the Americas. If shipping into the USA, EPA approval and and Importer Security Filing is (ISF) required prior to shipping more information here Temporary import to the USA  . Some shippers have incorrectly asked for a carnet when shipping to South & Central America.

Right hand drive vehicles may face problems in Central America – see our RHD / LHD map for more details

Chile – Note if you buy a car in Chile you must obtain a RUT to exit the country.


(Latest news see our Overlanding Asia FB Group)

Northern Asia,the Stans, Russia, Mongolia a carnet is not required, nor are they required in South East Asia, except for Indonesia or if you are shipping into Malaysia.

For Iran, China, Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam and Turkmenistan (not on transit visa) a guide may be required to travel through the country. The rules may differ for different nationalities and the type of visa you have i,e Transit or Tourist Visa.

Malaysia – A Carnet is only required if shipping into the country, travellers have reported some agents have asked for one to leave. For updated information please reach out to our community.

Cambodia – Recently travellers entering Cambodia have been asked for either a permit (issued Phnom Penh, can take up to 7 days) or a Carnet to enter the country with their vehicle.  A Carnet is not officially required for entry into Cambodia, and the requirement of a permit is something new. There has been little officially published about either of these requirements and it does not appear that these rules are being applied consistently on all borders. Travellers have reported that you may be able to obtain the permit in advance from a Cambodian embassy in e.g. Bangkok. We are making enquiries with Cambodian customs in order to understand a little more regarding the rules being implemented, any new updates will be posted here and in our Overlanding Asia Group

Laos – There are rumors that Laos may follow Thailand and require travellers to obtain permits prior to entry, there have been reports that groups arriving at the border have been refused entry, so if you are in a group enter individually at different times,

Myanmar – is open for all vehciles however you are required to enter and travel with a guide. Currently the border of both China & Laos is closed to foreigners so you would have to travel Myanmar to Thailand. China should reopen soon, there is no eta as to when the Myanmar Laos border will be open, when it does it would offer the opportunity to bypass Thailand until you reach the Cambodia / Thai border.

Vietnam – both LHD and RHD drive vehicles can enter the country with a guide

Thailand – In December 2016 Thailand introduced new rules which required a traveller with their own motor vehicles to obtain a permit and guide to enter the country in advance The new rules allow for motorcycles and vehicles under 3500kg to enter the country, with a permit and guide organised via a travel agency. However they state – No vans, camper cars, buses, trucks, vehicles over 3500kg or that have over 9 seats. The situation is fluid and is ever changing.  More info / latest updates see our Overlanding Asia FB Group

To enter Thailand you should make sure you have an IDP (international Driving Licence) 1949 version, 1969 is not accepted.

In general most countries issue the 1949 version by default, however countries like Germany or Switzerland appear to iss the 1969 version. (In total the a three versions that are issued 1926, 1949, 1968)

Thailand recognises the following;
1. Driving license issued by ASEAN member states (temporary driving license excluded)
2. International driving permit under Convention on Road Traffic of 19 September 1949

If you do not have a 1949 IDP, you will be required to provide an english and (or) Thai translation of your licence and you may have to undertake some tests. Your agent will be able to confirm exactly whats required, as they may differ by province.



Generally it is recommended to use a carnet for australia due to the administration burden and requirement of security when temporarily importing a vehicle with

Tourists or temporary residents who cannot or do not wish to obtain a carnet may use the provisions of s162 or s162A of the Customs Act. This method is really only suitable for vehicles that meet the Australian Design Rules (indicated by a compliance plate fixed to the
fire wall of the vehicle) or those that are fifteen or more years old on their arrival in Australia.

Vehicles temporarily imported without a carnet will be required to provide security with the Australian Customs Service on arrival in Australia. The vehicle cannot be released until Customs and Department of Transport and Regional Services requirements have been

If you import a vehicle without a carnet you will require Vehicle Import Approval (VIA) (fee
payable). You must obtain this before the vehicle arrives in Australia.
Application forms are available from:
The Administrator of Vehicle Standards
ACT Federal Office of Road Safety
GPO Box 1553
Canberra Australia 2601
or any Australian overseas mission.

An application for an Import Permit can take up to 21 days to process so it is a good idea to
apply well before the vehicle arrives in Australia otherwise you will not be allowed to move
the vehicle from the wharf or airport.

If you import a vehicle without a carnet you will require Vehicle Import Approval (VIA).
Applications for Vehicle Import Approval must be made to the Department of Transport
and Regional Services before the vehicle arrives in Australia.
Vehicle Import Approval will be granted if:
 You hold a current Visitor Visa; and
 Your vehicle has overseas registration.
Import approval will be issued for the duration of the visitor visa.
People travelling on Temporary Resident visas are not eligible for a Temporary Vehicle
Import Approval. Temporary residents can only import vehicles under carnet. The carnet will
be limited to 12 months and not the period of the visa.
All Vehicles arriving in Australia must carry current registration for the duration of the visit
and be roadworthy.

New Zealand

Australian registered vehicles do not require carnet.

You can also enter by leaving a cash deposit.

From NZ Customs: Temporary entry – tourist motor vehicles

​If you are a tourist you may import a motor vehicle into New Zealand without payment of Customs charges, provided your intention is to take the vehicle out of New Zealand at the conclusion of your visit.

To facilitate duty-free entry, it is recommended that you have in your possession a carnet de passage en douane (CPD) issued by AIT/FIA affiliated member clubs (such as the Automobile Association). If you do not have a CPD, you will be required to put up a cash deposit to cover the full Customs charges. The deposit will be refunded providing the vehicle and attachments are exported within the stipulated period of temporary entry.

Temporary entry is normally granted for a maximum of 12 months. In exceptional circumstances, Customs may allow a once-only extension, provided a request for such an extension is made prior to the original expiry date. If the importer holds CPD documentation, it is necessary to secure extension approval from the issuing office in the country of origin. Again, this should be completed with the issuing office at least one month prior to the expiry of the original temporary entry. <br> Temporary

Tourists visiting New Zealand can temporarily import a car for up to 12 months. During this time, the car doesn’t have to complete standard permanent importation certification. It can display its existing plates while being driven here and you won’t have to pay importation taxes.

To do this, there are some requirements as the car must:

Be currently licensed in its country of origin
Be recorded on the Overseas Visitors Licence register
Pass a New Zealand Warrant of Fitness (WoF)
Have a current WoF sticker affixed to the windscreen
You must be a citizen of the country the car is registered in and you’ll need to pay an Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) premium when you arrive in this country.
You must pay Road user charges (RUC)
This is so that if you have an accident while driving in New Zealand, ACC may cover part of your medical bills. This premium-paid label must be affixed to your car’s windscreen. <

Asian Agents / Tour Companies

Travel Activ  is our recommended Agents / Tour company for Asia permits and guides (Thailand, Myanmar, China & Vietnam)


Extending a Carnet or transferring to a new one

Extending a Carnet 

To Extend a carnet you will need to obtain both permission from the local customs authority and your carnet issuer. Normally the Carnet issuer will grant permission for the carnet to be extended for 1 additional year, the costs differ country to country and depending on the security you have put down for the carnet. If you have gone via the insurance route, the insurance will need to be renewed / paid again.

Not all countries allow for carnets to be extended.

Transferring to a new Carnet

Normally people transfer to a new carnet during the exit and entry in to a new country, this is by far the easiest way to do it.

You can also transfer to a new carnet whilst in country, however you need to agree this with local customs prior to your carnet expiring,

If your carnet expires whist in a carnet country, and you have not made arrangements for a temporary excretion or formal transfer to a valid carnet, you are unfortunately in breach of the carnet rules. From customs perspective all they know is that a car is in the country with an expired carnet. Large fines or charges may be levied, or your vehicle could be confiscated.

Some countries like South Africa do allow one month’s grace on expired carnets.

*Simply arriving in the country with a new carnet for an expired carnet or soon to expire carnet is not enough, you must formally transfer from one carnet to another prior to the expiry of the current one. If not you may be liable for large fines, your vehicle could be confiscated.  (Yes this has happened to people)


Sometimes when shipping the rules for crossing a border via land to those entering by sea may differ, also in some instances shipping agents may not be experienced with temporary import of non residents vehicles and may not provide the correct advice. Before shipping, check with your agents on both ends or reach out to our community to clarify whether a carnet is required or not.


Where a Carnet is stated as recommended – it may be possible to enter that country without a carnet, however it may not be straightforward, you may have to pay bribes, speak to officials, may be time consuming, or make travelling through the country with a RHD vehicle more complicated etc, therefore it is recommended to have a carnet make the border crossing easier.  In Africa official rules can change without notice or be purely down to the person on duty. If you do plan to enter any of the countries where a carnet is “recommended” please read the notes and consider reaching out to our community for the latest reports on entering that country.

*Temporary importation whether via Carnet or a Temporary import permit is normally provided for vehicles being used socially / for tourist purposes, on a temporary basis. If you are bringing a vehicle into your home country or Customs Zone (i,e EU), that is registered elsewhere, then these provisions may not apply, and you may have to pay local import taxes and duties.

The information provided on this website is for travellers outside of their home country or customs zone.

For more information see our Guide to Carnet de passage for Overland Travellers

Temporary Import

This map provides details in relation to Temporary import of Motor Vehicles, Motor Bikes and trucks into a country other than your own. i.e Initial Length of Stay, Maximum length of stay, overstay fines, costs and other information.

The data is currently incomplete and we would ask that you add your experience to either the  link or as a comment to this post.

General & Regional Communities Facebook Groups

Country Specific

Vehicle / Specific

Buy & Sell

General Travel insurance try World Nomads or True Traveller both companies specialise in long term travel policies

Have some feedback, spot an error, have an update or want to leave some praise? Please leave a comment below:



  1. Norman Magowan

    Currently on an RTW trip and just entered Laos 2 days ago from Thailand with 2 motorcycles and the carnets were used. I’m not saying it’s mandatory but it saved paying an import fee, so if you have one use it. The customs guys were fully familiar with the process which took only a few minutes to complete.

  2. Kurt Gøran Andersen

    Carnet is required for Malaysia when crossing a land border. Thats my experience as of june 2015 – entering from Thailand. And when shipping my bike from Penang – Malaysia to Medan – Indonesia the shipping agent on the malaysian side stressed me several times telling me that I needed a Carnet with an in stamp on. And the shipping agent was Mr Lim og Cakra shipping and he have shipped hundreds of bikes on that stretch – so I guarantee he knows what his doing.

    • Overlanding Association

      Thank you for your feedback. A Carnet is not required to enter Malaysia by land and has not been required for many years. We (in 2011) and many others have reported recently in our FB group that a carnet is not required when entering via land borders.

      However for shipping in to the country it is, and sometimes an agent may ask for it shipping out, the agent we work with does not and has shipped out many vehicles recently without one. Others have confirmed with customs that a carnet is not required when leaving. But of course it is required for shipping to Indonesia. (We know Mr Lim too, he is not the most reliable of agents)

  3. Lisa Armstrong

    We crossed China (Erenhot) into Mongolia (Zamiin-Uud)on the 28 April 2016. The Mongolian border official insisted the Carnet was required. We argued strongly that it wasn’t, until he said he would not let us cross without it. We were VERY unpopular with the rest of our group since they had already passed through the border but were told to return with their Carnets. I guess we were unlucky with the border official we spoke to.

    • Overlanding Association

      Hi Lisa, this is quite odd, i had an email from the Mongolian customs just a few days back.. and historically many overlanders go via Mongolia due to there not being a requirement for a Carnet, do you mind if i post your message in our forum to follow up..

      а/ In the case of transport vehicles, both the vehicles for personal use and the vehicles that regularly or occasionally conduct transport services inter countries are included and the permission to cross the country border is provided in accordance with the provision 3.1.5 and 229 of the Customs Law without levying of any duties for a period no more than 6 months. When such vehicles cross the border, the vehicle shall be registered in the Customs Automated Information System and “Vehicle information sheet” is provided to the driver. The “Vehicle information sheet” must be returned to the Customs when the vehicle leaves the country. In the event the vehicle is unable to return within the specified time frame, the Customs General Administration shall be notified and the period may be extended once for up to 1 year, provided customs duties and other taxes are temporarily placed in the customs temporary placement account. Additionally, if the driver is unable to drive the vehicle out of the customs border and decides to ship the vehicle instead, the Customs General Administration needs be notified and customs clearance procedure shall take place before the shipment of the vehicles separately from the driver. Mongolian Customs

  4. Steven Snaith

    Cambodia – We recently (October 2016) crossed the border at Poipet and were asked to present either a permit from Phnom Penh or if we did not have this a carnet. Without one of these we could not cross. We know another traveler had the same issue at Hat Lek also in October 2016.

  5. tony lee

    I would have thought that for all intents and purposes – to do with overlanding anyway – that Australia should be coloured red.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Information provided on this site is generally provided for people travelling outside of their home country, visa zone or customs area. If you have any questions or would like clarification on any matter please leave a comment or reach out to our comunity in our overlanding facebook group.

Disclaimer: While we make every effort to provide accurate and complete information, we do not provide any warranty over its accruacy or completness nor do accept any liability whatsoever for the content provided and is used at your own risk. If in doubt please reach out to our community or seek advice from government or other official sources

If you wish to use or embed any information, text or maps please contact us for permission prior to doing so.

Proudly supported by:
The following companies actively support the Overlanding Association, they help in a number of ways financially, volunteering to help manage the communities groups and forums, helping at free events promoting overlanding or freely sharing their own knowledge and experiences.

International Vehicle Shipping Services for Overlanders